Nov 9, 2011

Kartel keeps his Lawyers

KINGSTON (Gleaner): One of the attorneys for popular Jamaican artiste Vybz Kartel, yesterday released a letter over the entertainer's signature dismissing media reports that they have been sacked. "I have not authorised any change in my legal team in whom I have the fullest confidence," read a section of the three-paragraph letter signed by the artiste, whose given name is Adidja Palmer. The letter blindsided attorney-at-law Hannah Harris-Barrington, who yesterday repeated claims she made in a radio interview on Monday that she has been retained to represent the entertainer. Harris-Barrington, who is also the attorney for another jailed dancehall star Ninja Man - given name Desmond Ballentyne - told The Gleaner she has two letters, given to her by Palmer during separate jailhouse visits last week, to support her claim. "I really don't know what is happening," she said. Despite this, Harris-Barrington said she was willing to step away from the case. "If that (Palmer's letter) has today's (yesterday's) date then that must mean he has given them back the case and that's fine," she said. Palmer, in the letter released through his attorney Christian Tavares-Finson, said: "I have not retained or engaged the services of Hannah Harris-Barrington to represent me in any matter and she is not authorised to speak on my behalf or to discuss my case." His letter added "This serves to confirm that I have retained the services of attorneys-at-law Tom Tavares-Finson, Michael Deans and Chris Tavares-Finson to represent me in all the matters for which I am currently before the court." Palmer is facing two murder charges arising from the deaths of businessman/promoter Barrington Burton and Clive Williams in separate incidents in July and August this year. Burton was shot dead while standing with friends in Gregory Park, St Catherine, while Williams was beaten and stabbed to death in Havendale, St Andrew. He has been in custody since October 1 when he and three other persons were arrested at a New Kingston hotel for possession of ganja.

No comments:

Post a Comment